ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS)ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS)
1. What is ''AFSIS''
- AFSIS is established in 2003 according to the agreement at “the 1st Meeting of the ASEAN Ministers on Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China, Japan, and the Republic of Korea” held in 2001. AFSIS is aiming to provide accurate and reliable information timely, which is necessary for the food security in the region.
- AFSIS Website: http://www.aptfsis.org/index.php
- - To develop and release useful statistical information on food security
- - To implement trainings in order to enhance human resource development of agricultural statistics
- A: Statistics
- Development of the independent statistics database of ASEAN which provides agricultural data on Production, Harvested Area, Price for Rice, Maize, Cassava, Soybean and Sugar cane in ASEAN member countries. In addition to them, the database provides Population, GDP, Labour force, Trade and Land use for comparison of each country.
- B: Reports
- “Early Warning Information (EWI)” and “Agricultural Commodity Outlook (ACO)” are published in biannually through AFSIS website.
- EWI includes forecast for production in current year.
- ACO includes forecast for supply and demand in current year and following year.
4. Relationship between AFSIS and Japan
- Japan has been supporting AFSIS through conducting various kinds of project to ensure food security in the region through mainly capacity building for ASEAN Member Status.
Statistics Planning Division,