Import dogs and cats into Japan (from Non-designated regions)
To import dogs and cats from Non-designated regions, they must meet import requirements such as microchip implanting, at least two times rabies vaccinations, rabies antibody test, and 180-day waiting.
And you need to obtain certificates, which certify necessary information, issued by the government agency of the exporting country.
In the beginning, please read the import guide.
- Import guide (Non-designated regions)
Dogs and cats must be identified by a microchip before the first rabies vaccination.
Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies twice or more after the microchip implanting.
（Timing of rabies vaccination）
First rabies vaccination
Second rabies vaccination
＊Effective period is not the expiration date for use of the vaccine, but the duration of immunity.
Rabies antibody test must be performed at one of the designated laboratories.
Blood sample for the test must be drawn after the second rabies vaccination.
(The second rabies vaccination and blood sampling can be performed on the same day.)
Dogs and cats are required to arrive in Japan after 180 days have passed from the date of blood sampling for the rabies antibody test.
In addition, the arrival date in Japan must be within ‘the expiry period of the rabies vaccine administered’ and ‘the validity period of the rabies antibody test (2 years from the date of blood sampling)’.
(The date of blood sampling is counted as day 0).
Dogs and cats whose waiting has passed less than 180 days will be subject to quarantine at a detention facility of Animal Quarantine Service for the period to make up the shortage.
Applicants must notify Animal Quarantine Service at the expected port of entry not less than 40 days before arrival in Japan.
You can submit the notification form by mail, fax, or e-mail.
Or notification can be made online through the NACCS.
＜Approval of Import Inspection of Animals＞
＜Modification on notification＞
In case of any changes in the notification, you need to submit a ‘Modification on Notification of Import of Animals’ by mail, fax, or e-mail to Animal Quarantine Service.
＊Detention fasility for cats at Haneda Airport Branch has been full.
Before leaving the exporting country, dogs and cats must undergo a clinical inspection by a veterinarian.
（Contents of clinical inspection）
Applicants must obtain certificates issued by the government agency (corresponding to Animal Quarantine service in Japan) of the exporting country.
（Required information in the certificates）
（1）Individual information （including date of birth or age）
（2）Microchip number and date of implanting ［→Step 1］
（3）Date of rabies vaccinations, effective period, kind of vaccine, product name and manufacturer of vaccine ［→Step 2］
（4）Date of blood sampling for a rabies antibody test, antibody titer, and name of designated laboratory［→Step3］
（5）Result and date of clinical inspection （pre-export inspection） ［→Step 6］
Using the recommended certification form (Form A, Form C) makes it possible for the importer to fill in the required information without any omissions.
(How to fill out Form A and Form C)
1. The owner (or exporter) fills in Form A.
2. The private veterinarian who performed the treatments fills in Form C.
3. Both Form A and Form C must be endorsed by the government agency of the exporting country.
Dogs and cats must be inspected by Animal Quarantine Service upon arrival in Japan.
Importer must apply for import inspection to Animal Quarantine Service upon arrival in Japan.
If no problems are found in the import inspection, we will issue an import quarantine certificate for the dog or cat.
In case that the dog or cat doesn’t meet import requirements, it will be subject detention quarantine for up to 180 days or will be returned or euthanized.
Detention quarantine inspection
Dogs and cats which don’t meet import requirements including certification deficiency will be subject to quarantine at a detention facility of Animal Quarantine Service for the necessary period (up to 180 days).
The importer is responsible for caretaking, feeding, and all the costs during quarantine.
The importer can entrust the caretaking and feeding duties to a caretaker company at your expense.
Detention facilities where a caretaking company is stationed: Narita branch, Haneda Airport branch, Yokohama head office, and Kansai Airport branch.
- During quarantine, dogs and cats cannot be brought out of the detention facility under any circumstances, except when the dog or cat is returned to the exporting country.
- If necessary, a veterinarian can visit at the detention facility for medical treatments.
- Visiting your dog or cat during quarantine is allowed, but the visiting hours and visitors are restricted.
- If symptoms of rabies or, for dogs, leptospirosis is observed, the quarantine period may be extended and some additional examinations may be conducted.
- For dogs and cats scheduled to be subject to detention quarantine, vaccinations (combination vaccine) and deworming treatment should be performed in advance
Dogs can be imported only through the following ports.
New Chitose airport, Narita international airport, Haneda airport, Chubu International airport, Kansai International airport, Kitakyusyu airport, Fukuoka airport, Kagoshima airport, Naha airport
Tomakomai seaport, Keihin seaport (Tokyo, Yokohama), Nagoya seaport, Hanshin seaport (Osaka, Hyogo), Kanmon seaport, Hakata seaport, Kagoshima seaport, Naha seaport
If you import cats or come with your assistance dog (guide dogs, service dogs, and hearing dogs regulated by law in Japan) through a port other than listed above, please contact Animal Quarantine Service in advance.
(Reference) Necessary procedures after import into Japan
- We cannot reissue the import quarantine certificate. You need to keep the certificate because it is necessary when you export the dog or cat that has been imported into Japan. If you are planning to export the dog or cat, please make early contact with Animal Quarantine Service at a port of departure.
- For dog’s importer, you need to bring the import quarantine certificate to the municipality, where the imported dog is kept, for registration within 30days of import.
- Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies once a year under the Rabies Prevention Law in Japan. For further information, contact the municipality office.
- The microchip number (currently only those in accordance with ISO standards) can be registered domestically with the import quarantine certificate. For further information, contact AIPO (Animal ID Promotion Organization).
（AIPO office）TEL：03-3475-1695, FAX：03-3475-1697